Learn all about online payment methods and which ones you should accept as a small business.
Online Payment Methods for Small Businesses
Online Payment Methods for Small Businesses: FAQs
What Payment Methods Are Best for Small Businesses?
Accepting payments with credit or debit cards is essential and should be the first payment method you add to your online store. Taking debit and credit card payments is the standard for online shops.
However, there are now more payment options than ever and offering more for your online shop may help you. Another payment option you may want to consider is mobile payments. Customers can make payments in-store and make most payments online with mobile payments using a smartphone’s built-in payment wallet, such as Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, and Google Pay.
What Are the Benefits of Multiple Online Payment Methods?
There are multiple benefits for online retailers offering numerous payment options, such as:
- Having options shows you care for your customer base and will increase customer satisfaction.
- You’ll receive multiple data sets depending on how many online payment methods you add to your store. You can use the data from your customer’s shopping patterns to inform business decisions.
- Multiple options can be a backup if one payment gateway is down.
- Including widely accepted payment methods and local ones, you can encourage more people to buy from your store as you accommodate more people worldwide.
How Do I Set Up a Payment Gateway?
Setting up a payment is pretty simple; you need to do two things:
- You need to open a merchant account. A merchant account is where your funds go from customers to be authorised before they arrive in your account.
- Pick your payment gateways. A payment gateway moves customer money into your merchant account and helps send all the essential information between banks.
What Are the Drawbacks of Hosting Multiple Payment Methods?
There are a few drawbacks to accepting multiple payment options on your online shop, such as:
- The more payment methods you have, the more technical and IT resources are needed.
- If you use multiple payment service providers, there could be issues with integrating new online payment services into your site.
- Using multiple online payment service providers is a costly undertaking. Fees include processing, technical, and integration fees for each payment method, especially using multiple providers.
What Are the Different Payment Methods?
If you’re considering starting an online business, looking at the different payment options you can offer your customers is a good idea. Some popular payment methods include:
- Credit and debit cards are one of the most popular online payment methods.
- Mobile payments like Pay with Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, and Google Pay.
- Buy Now, Pay Later is a more affordable way to pay for online services and products.
Get Bank Deals & More
Sign up for our email updates on the best bank deals, money savings tips and more.